Rural Child Care Innovation Program
Child care is an economic driver for rural communities across our country, but many communities are facing shortages of child care slots. The Rural Child Care Innovation Program (RCCIP) is an innovative community engagement process designed to increase the supply of high quality affordable child care in rural communities. The purpose of RCCIP is to guide communities in identifying the scope and size of their child care challenges, and to empower and support communities to develop solutions to address these challenges.
The Rural Child Care Innovation Program (RCCIP) addresses the challenges of rural child care through the lens of economic development.
The RCCIP uses a community engagement process designed to identify right-sized solutions to increase the supply of high quality affordable child care in rural communities.
By mobilizing community members and empowering the creation of community-based solutions, rural communities are able to preserve existing child care businesses and add new child care slots.
What can communities expect?
- Events that provide education on the links between quality child care, rural economic development, and viable communities.
- Creation of a local Core Team to drive change by identifying resources to increase the supply of high quality and affordable child care.
- A thorough analysis of the community’s current child care gaps and needs.
- Use of First Children’s Finance’s expertise, resources and tools, including research and financial modeling.
- Development of a multi-jurisdictional Community Solution Action Plan that includes innovative solutions to increase the supply of high quality and affordable child care. The plan guides long-term decision making in a community as new opportunities and resources are identified.
- Support and business improvement services to existing family child care providers and child care centers.
Why should communities participate?
Communities with identified child care challenges impacting economic development should consider submitting an application to be a part of the Rural Child Care Innovation Program. Child care shortages have a broad impact beyond the family, and communities need to address these issues with right-sized solutions that meet the unique aspects of the community.
Want to learn more? Visit the RCCIP project management website for more information!